So I am allergic to sulfites and sulfa drugs.
I have to be seriously careful about what I eat.
So imagine my surprise to find out a new list from my allergist of no no foods.
Following foods contain Greater than 100 ppm of sulfites (very high levels, strict avoidance advised in people with sulfite allergy)
* dried fruits (prunes)
* bottled lemon juice (non-frozen)
* bottled lime juice (non-frozen)
* sauerkraut (and its juice)
* grape juices (white, white sparkling, pink sparkling, red sparkling)
* pickled cocktail onions
Between 50 and 99.9 ppm of sulfites (moderate to high levels of sulfite, avoidance advised in people with sulfite allergy)
* dried potatoes
* wine vinegar
* fruit toppings
* Maraschino cherries
Between 10 and 49.9 ppm of sulfites (low to moderate levels of sulfite, may cause symptoms in people with severe sulfite allergy)
* fresh shrimp
* corn syrup
* pickled peppers
* corn starch
* frozen potatoes
* maple syrup
* imported jams and jellies
* fresh mushrooms
* imported sausages and meats
* cordials (alcoholic)
* dehydrated vegetables
* various cheeses
* corn bread/muffin mix
* canned/jarred clams
* clam chowder
* avocado dip/guacamole
* imported fruit juices and soft drinks
* ciders and cider vinegars
The Hell? Maple SYRUP?! I freaking love maple syrup. I already use rice vinegar and am lactose intolerant anyway so the rest of this didn't bother me so much but...Corn muffin mix? Corn muffin tops are a staple in our house I make them and toast them in the toaster oven!
And if I can't have my pickle relish on my Tofu Pups I would want to pass away from it. I LOVE pickles. Hell I make my own! Can I eat those?
Ugh....sucky new list.
Crash (fiance) said "So basically you can't eat anything without risk of dying?"
Uh yeah basically that.