Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Coconut London Bars: Test Kitchen Success!

So people who know me know that I have been looking for an authentic version of my Nana's awesome "London Bars" since she lost her recipe moving into her retirement castle.

I have tested several "London Bar" recipes as well as several "Coconut Bar" recipes and while they were ok to terrible nothing came close.

After another EPIC FAIL last night with a recipe involving evaporated milk I went online seeking expert advice.

An online cook friend who happens to work in a baking test kitchen I told her about my Bar quandry. She suggested that we conference online and try to work out ingredients.

Together we came up with a recipe and this morning too excited to sleep I woke up and whipped out a batch.

They came out delicious!

Here is the recipe and I hope that you make some for yourself soon!

Coconut London Bars

KJ's Coconut London Bars

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 c. flour
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/2 c (stick) unsalted butter

Mix together to form crumbly texture and press into bottom of 8x10 pan
(note: I used 1 1/4 cup flour 3/4 cup brown sugar and the same amount of butter in a 9x13 glass pan with no problems)

Bake at 325 for 10 minutes or until golden brown

Center layer:
1 c. Brown sugar
2 eggs (don't whisk first!)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
dash salt
1 c. Fresh grated coconut/Frozen thawed fresh cocnut

Top:
1 c. Chopped pecans or walnuts

So while the crust is baking put together the ingredients for the middle in a bowl and mix together with a spatula, folding the ingredients together gently scraping down the sides as needed for about 2 minutes.

Pour mixture over crust when it is done and hot from the oven, and sprinkle with nuts.
Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, cool on wire rack. Can be drizzled with confectioners sugar icing if desired.

No comments: